Travel Insurance FAQ

Everything you need to know about a travel insurance policy

Annual Multitrip

The maximum age limit is 75 years. (Persons 70-75 years must hold valid Private Health Insurance, with a minimum of €55,000 inpatient medical cover abroad).

  • 19 – 65 yrs – Max duration 70 days any one trip.
  • 66 – 69 yrs – Max duration 39 days any one trip.
  • 70 – 75 yrs – Max Duration 25 days any one trip (must hold valid Private Health Insurance, with a minimum of €55,000 inpatient medical cover abroad).

There is no restriction on the number of times you can go away during the period of this insurance on an Annual Multi Trip Insurance policy.

Wintersports cover is included as standard on our Premier Plus policy and can be included for an additional premium on the Premier policy. Wintersports can only be included provided you are 65 years or under. On an Annual Multi Trip policy the named adults/spouses can travel separately/independently. Children under 16 years of age cannot travel independently. Children aged between 16 and 17 years of age are only covered to travel independently from their parents provided they are travelling on an organised school or college trip only and with a responsible adult aged 18 years or over. A couple can be defined as two adults who are common law partners or that have been co-habiting for at least 6 months. This includes same sex couples. Two co-habiting adults/spouses and their dependent children under 19 years of age. Your cover should start the day you purchase the insurance unless:

  • You have an existing policy that covers you until the cover start date you choose.
  • You have yet to book a holiday and will only do so on or after the cover start date you choose.

You have no cover until the start date of the policy. Your cover including cancellation protection ONLY begins from the chosen start date.
The maximum trip duration we can offer on an Annual Multi Trip Policy depends on your age and the cover level you choose. Please see “What is the maximum age limit and length of any one trip on an Annual Multi Trip policy?” Unfortunately these trip durations cannot be extended. If you require cover for a longer period than allowed on your Annual Multi Trip then you may need to purchase a Single Trip Policy to cover the entire duration. To make sure you have continuous cover under your policy, we will aim to automatically renew (auto-renew) your policy when it runs out, unless you tell us not to. Each year we will notify you 6 weeks before the renewal date of your policy, and tell you about any changes to the premium or the policy terms and conditions.
If you do not want to us to auto-renew your policy, just call us on 0818 484 484, otherwise we will collect the renewal premiums from your credit card or debit card. You should also note that your renewed policy will only be valid when:

  • you have told us about any changes to your policy details (including any changes in health conditions) as you will still be required to contact the medical screening company to declare any medical conditions;
  • and your credit card or debit card details have not changed.

In some cases we may not be able to automatically renew your policy; we will let you know at the time if this is the case. For the facilitation of the auto renewal service we will assume that your details have not changed and you have the permission of the card holder unless you inform us otherwise.

Single Trip

The maximum age limit is 86 years of age.
The maximum duration you can take on a Single Trip policy is:

  • 365 days for persons 69 years and under.
  • 35 days for persons aged between 70-75 years.
  • 21 days for persons aged between 76-79 years.
  • 15 days for persons aged between 80-86 years.

Please see “What is the maximum trip duration I can take on a Single Trip policy?”. If your total trip duration does not exceed the maximum limit then you may be able to extend your cover. You must:

  • Contact us by telephone before your current policy expiry date.
  • Contact Medical Screening (if applicable) to extend cover for previously declared medical conditions.

Two co-habiting adults/spouses and their dependent children under 19 years of age.

Yes, but they must have a policy in their own name and they will be charged the full adult rate.

You will need to start your policy on the day that you leave to go on your trip and end it on the day you return back to the Republic of Ireland. Cover for cancellation on a Single Trip policy starts as soon as the policy is purchased.


49 years of age is the maximum age limit on a Backpacker policy.

You are entitled to spend up to 20% or 31 days, whichever is less, of the insured duration of a trip in another area. This does not include the USA and Canada. To be covered for travel to/in the USA and Canada you must have ‘Worldwide including USA/Canada’ cover.

The basic rate covers Cancellation/Curtailment of your trip as a result of an insured event, Emergency Medical and other Expenses, Personal Baggage and Money, Missed Departure, Personal Accident, Personal Liability, Overseas Legal Expenses and Holiday Abandonment. For full details of what is covered please see the Policy Wording.

Provided you have paid the appropriate additional premium, you will be covered for up to 31 days of Wintersports activities. You may use these days in any order that you choose. Wintersports definitions and policy limits can be found on the Policy Wording.

We are currently able to provide a maximum of 24 months cover.

If you intend on staying overseas past your policy expiry date you will need to contact us by email/telephone at least 2 weeks before your policy is due to lapse. We can, in some cases, extend cover for a maximum total trip duration of 24 months. Each individual’s circumstances will be considered by the Underwriter, who will authorise the extension.

Sports & Activities

What sports and activities are covered free of charge with
The policy automatically provides cover for Personal Accident and Emergency Medical Expenses for the activities listed under Grade 1 in your Policy Wording once they are conducted on an incidental basis whilst you are on holiday. See Policy Wording for full details.

What is the difference between ‘Incidental’ and ‘Non Incidental’?
An activity done on an incidental basis means it happens randomly or casually. The activity would not be the main purpose of your trip. Non Incidental is exactly the opposite and would be pre-planned.

I am going on holiday and may have a go at Scuba Diving whilst I’m out there, if I can find a place that does it.

That would be participation in an activity on an ‘Incidental’ basis. “I am going on a specific Scuba Diving holiday, where my main intention is to Scuba Dive” – That would be participation on a ‘Non Incidental’ basis.

I cannot find the activity I want to do under Grade 1?
We can also provide cover for additional activities under Grade 2 – 4, subject to an additional premium. See Policy Wording for full details.

Curabitur pulvinar consectetur et, lectus ultricies massa ut elementum felis leo. Praesent